Pets or No Pets?Dec 03, 2021
Should you allow pets at your Airbnb?
1. More traffic: People love to be able to travel with their pets and the majority of listings don’t allow them so you will end up with higher demand for your property.
2. Increased Revenue: Because of this higher demand, you can charge more per night or added pet fees.
3. Better Reviews: Generally there is a high level of appreciation for allowing pets as this is harder and harder to find on AirBnB.
1. Potential for damage: Having dogs in your property does increase the potential for damage. However, if you are careful about explaining what you expect of your guests with pets, you can mitigate this risk.
2. Loss of renters with allergies: This is a small portion of the population compared to the extra views you will get because your property is pet friendly.
How we mitigate the issues associated with allowing pets
- Include a very clear description of what you allow in your listing:
- Make sure your guest has to tell you they are bringing a pet. This is located under Listings> Booking Settings> Guest Requirements at the bottom of the page. I have a question on AirBnB when they book:
- Once I know a guest wants to bring a pet they receive this automated response from my Messaging Software, SmartBnB, to make sure they understand the rules of having a pet on my property.
3 Additional Safeguards!
- Refundable Deposit: My default is $300. This is just enough to make sure people are careful but not enough to deter most from booking with us.
- Posted Rules & House Manual: Posted quick sheet of house rules which includes pet rules & a house manual with more in depth details on this.
- Dog Towel: We leave a brown towel and dog poop bags by the door of the unit so there is no excuse for a wet dog in the house or poop to be left around the property.
Hope this helps you decide whether to allow pets at your property or not!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.